Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Same database - multiple schema
Same database - multiple schema [message #54057] Sat, 26 October 2002 15:22 Go to next message
Amit Kumar
Hi,
Our database supports an application. Now, we want to use the same application for another department(s). This means we will have different front end ( with the same features and code) accessing the same database for different set of data. I am wondering how to implement it. I want the different applications to use different tables, of course , and I dont want many instances of oracle.
I am wondering :
Shud I make new tables and other structures ? Can i use the same logical tables but in a different schema on the same instance ?
I would appreciate any suggestion and ways to go abt it !!

Thanks and regards
Amit
Re: Same database - multiple schema [message #54059 is a reply to message #54057] Sat, 26 October 2002 18:31 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
Using your existing schema DDL's will do that job. Do export with rows=n, and then create your new user to hold the schema, and import with fromuser=current_user , touser=newuser.

You will get the schema ready for the new user. Then start from there. Event if you have to scale later on another machine, you have to move only the schema to the new machine. Separating the schemas will make the administration easy too.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP DBA

Visit our Web site

Previous Topic: Bigger than 1 GB datafile under Linux 7.3
Next Topic: ORA-12515: TNS:listner could not find a handler for this presentation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 03:50:48 CDT 2024