Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Data Archiving issue
Data Archiving issue [message #54161] Thu, 31 October 2002 22:48 Go to next message
sai sreenivas jeedigunta
Hello all,
I have an Interesting task..

We have a product consists of a database with 250 tables and 300 stored procedures..

Now we have decided to archive the 'N' (user defined) days old data into a Temp database which will be having the same structure of the main database.

but the main question is .. This product will be installed at a remote client .. (i.e) we will not be there when he is setting up our product..
Now i want to set up this archival feature as a built in facility with in the component, so that the moment the product is installed , automatically this job should start ...

Well currently i am with a idea to install 2 databases during setup and write Triggers on the First database (before / after insert , update, delete) and in that put a copy of the same in the temp database.. But this contains Jeopardy...as once the time is reached i will have to delete from the primary database , which intrurn should delete the corresponding master records First and then delete the corresponding child records from the primary database.

what do u suggest ? am i going in the Right way ? or any other Easy steps for this ? Please share u r Opinions..
I will be glad to recieve your opinions..

Thanks and regards
sai
Re: Data Archiving issue [message #54166 is a reply to message #54161] Fri, 01 November 2002 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
hi, how about this case?
1. we have  PROD database.
2. and Many test databases ( structurally same as prod,
   data and objects are copied (cloned) according to
   some point in time.
3. the solution are:
   we use RMAN to backup the primary PROD.
   and periodically clone ( or update the data) to
   different datbases (TEST), POINT-IN-TIME.
   say TEST1 will have a MONTH old data (cloned once a month).
       TEST2 will have a WEEK old data ( weekly once).
       TEST3 will have the data of the day before( every day).
   you can also accomplish the same with export / import.

Re: Data Archiving issue [message #54178 is a reply to message #54166] Fri, 01 November 2002 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sai sreenivas jeedigunta
But Mahesh,
All the above tasks needs some DBA Intervention.. In my case...It should happen automatically through out...as there may not be a DBA in the Client Side who will buy our product ..

So What should be the best way ?

Thanks & Regards
SAI
Re: Data Archiving issue [message #54195 is a reply to message #54166] Mon, 04 November 2002 07:51 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
May i sent an an email(to this mail account)..with concerned docs abut silent installation.
Previous Topic: How to drop and rebuild the JVM in Oracle
Next Topic: Index file full
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 05:36:09 CDT 2024