Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Redo Log Files
Redo Log Files [message #55060] Tue, 31 December 2002 02:32 Go to next message
Sayan Mukherje
I have a database running having 4 redo log files, say RedoLog01.rdo, RedoLog02.rdo, RedoLog03.rdo and RedoLog04.rdo. At any given point in time, assume that RedoLog04.rdo is the current log file i.e. it is being used by the LGWR process for recording Oracle transactions.

Q1
Is it possible to backup the other redo logs (i.e. RedoLog01.rdo, RedoLog02.rdo, RedoLog03.rdo) by using the OS level copy command?

Q2
If not, is there any command/utility by which the same can be achieved?

Assumption: I cannot have ARCHIVELOG mode ON.
Re: Redo Log Files [message #55089 is a reply to message #55060] Thu, 02 January 2003 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sharan alva
Hi,
Why do you want to copy the redolog files when you are not in archive log mode. You must be thinking of using logminer on specific redo logs to check transactions..

However, you can mirror these redo logs. You have 4 groups and ensure that you have more than one member per group and then you will need to manually copy them.

There is no utility that will do this for you other than putting it in archive log mode. which will do the job for you... People opt for not going into archivelog mode if they do not have space for the archived logs.. but since you have you can put it in archive log mode.

Note: You will not be able to apply any of the redo logs that you are copying to the database as PITR is not possible when you are not in archive log mode.
Re: Redo Log Files [message #55095 is a reply to message #55060] Thu, 02 January 2003 17:13 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
You never have to backup the REDO LOGS, neither in ARCHIVEDLOG or NOARCHIVEDLOG mode. You don't need them for any kind of restore.

Multiplex them on separate disks, by having more than one member in each REDO LOG group.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Previous Topic: Is there some way to know who,what ,how ...
Next Topic: ORACLE FEATURES
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 07:48:43 CDT 2024