Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » How to define where control files are placed?
How to define where control files are placed? [message #55896] Sat, 22 February 2003 03:00 Go to next message
Vic
Hi,

I need to install two instances on the same machine under the same user. The problem I am having right now is that I cannot figure out how I specify where my control files are placed per instance!

For example, when I create a new instance, first I do:
startup NOMOUNT pfile="/a/b/c/d/inst1/pfile/initInst1.ora"

then I call create database... But then, my control ora_control1 ora_control2 are stored under $ORACLE_HOME/dbs
I want to have ora_control files under the directory that I specify and not default. How do I do it?

Also, how can I make Oracle remember which pfile is where for what instance? I mean is there a way I can do startup WITHOUT pfile=/xxxxx ?

Any script would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Vic
Re: How to define where control files are placed? [message #55897 is a reply to message #55896] Sat, 22 February 2003 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vic
Ok, I got the first one: I can specify the path in init.ora ... But still, how can I make ORacle remember which pfile is what instance?
Re: How to define where control files are placed? [message #55900 is a reply to message #55896] Sat, 22 February 2003 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
by default ORACLE standards,
u are supposed to create an init parameter file (pfile)
in format of
init< yoursid >.ora
say ur ORACLE_SID=prod8i
then
ur init file should be named as initprod8i.ora and should be placed in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs (defualt oracle installations create a softlink for this file in $ORACLE_BASE/admin/< sid >/pfile directory).
if all these are properly configured.
and ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME is properly set,
login into svrmgrl , connect as internal.
just issue comand startup .
it will by default start ur init< $ORACLE_SID >.ora file.

Re: How to define where control files are placed? [message #55913 is a reply to message #55896] Mon, 24 February 2003 07:17 Go to previous message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
that is why u export the ORACLE_SID( to startup / shutdown an individual database).
if u have mutliple ORACLE_SID in multiple homes,
and u want one dbstart script to handle (startup/shutdown) all the instances
use the /etc/oratab file.
Previous Topic: I need your advice please....URGENT
Next Topic: ORA-08103: object no longer exists
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 09:21:09 CDT 2024