Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Transaction specific RollBack Segment
Transaction specific RollBack Segment [message #56325] Wed, 19 March 2003 11:05
purav
Hi,

We have a very long and highly dml intensive transaction that is likely to require rbs of 200M. We currently have 10 rbs each of size 50M. When we run this long transaction, it gives an error saying : unable to extend rbs by <> on tablespace <>. Even if space is added or more rbs are added it will not help because there are chances that while running the very long transaction the new huge rbs may already be allocated to some other active transactions (it is an OLTP system) and so there are chances that the rbs may fall short for the huge transaction. Hence I am looking for something like only the huge transaction can use the newly added huge rbs and no other transaction can use it. Is it possible to do that ? I know how to set allocate rbs for a particular transaction but at the same time how to prevent other transactions from using the same rbs - that is what I am looking for. I thought that the rbs can be kept offline and only when the huge transaction is likely to start, the huge rbs be brought online and the transaction is set to the huge rbs and the rbs be taken offline as soon as the huge transaction is over. But there are chances that other transactions may use the huge rbs while the huge transaction is running and so there are chances that it may fail again.

Awaiting help.

Regards,
Purav
Previous Topic: fragmentation status of a tablespace
Next Topic: hi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 09:21:54 CDT 2024