Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » More Than Urgent! How to recover database with your control file missing!
More Than Urgent! How to recover database with your control file missing! [message #56602] Fri, 11 April 2003 04:47 Go to next message
Muhammad Waqas Shabir
Hi!
Thanks for standing by!
I have my control file gone! How will i recover my database. Please Explain Step by step!
Thanking you in anticipation.
Waqas
Re: More Than Urgent! How to recover database with your control file missing! [message #56604 is a reply to message #56602] Fri, 11 April 2003 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
psmyth
heres a 'create control file' script which you will need to edit heavily to reflect your datafiles, filesystems, logfiles etc - character set as well.

the last line is there to recreate your temp file if its configured as a 'temporary tablespace'... this may or may not be applicable to your system.... also this has only ever been used on 8i databases, so if you're running 9i, I can't vouch for it working ;-)

Good luck!

# This works if control files are lost, or you wish to restore to an old hotbackup,
# in which case you need to create new control files.
#
STARTUP NOMOUNT
CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE "EL20" RESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG
MAXLOGFILES 16
MAXLOGMEMBERS 2
MAXDATAFILES 30
MAXINSTANCES 1
MAXLOGHISTORY 226
LOGFILE
GROUP 1 '/opt/oracle/oradata/el20/log1a.dbf' SIZE 20M,
GROUP 2 '/opt/oracle/oradata/el20/log1b.dbf' SIZE 20M,
GROUP 3 '/opt/oracle/oradata/el20/log1c.dbf' SIZE 20M
DATAFILE
'/opt/oracle/oradata/el20/system_01.dbf',
'/opt/oracle/oradata/el20/rbs01.dbf',
'/opt/oracle/oradata/el20/data01.dbf',
'/opt/oracle/oradata/el20/indx01.dbf',
'/opt/oracle/oradata/el20/bo_rep01.dbf'
CHARACTER SET US7ASCII
;
# Recovery is required if any of the datafiles are restored backups,
# or if the last shutdown was not normal or immediate.
ALTER DATABASE RECOVER AUTOMATIC UNTIL CANCEL USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE;
ALTER DATABASE RECOVER CANCEL;
# ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;
# ALTER TABLESPACE TEMP ADD TEMPFILE '/opt/oracle/oradata/el20/temp01.dbf' size 200M;
Re: More Than Urgent! How to recover database with your control file missing! [message #56618 is a reply to message #56602] Sat, 12 April 2003 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Muhammad Waqas Shabir
Dear psmyth!
Thanks for responding. The information that you have provided seems to be uncomplete, becuase you havnt told me what name should i give to this control file?

LOOK AT THE SCENARIO AGAIN (DETAILD):
My database has all files that are required to get opened EXCEPT control file. That means that i do have got data files, i do have got log files, the index files, the rolllback files, i.e every thing except the control file.
Now, what i have understood from your response plus from my common sense (which is uncommon in common people) is that i should create a control file with the same name as mentioned in the parameter/initialization file. Then i should mention the path where the data files and log files are present. (I dont know whether it will overwrite them or will read from them) and then will try to startup the database with normal option.
Lets see if it works.

So you have to be bothered once again for replying me about this input from my side.

Ok dear! I am waiting for your response. If you have a yahoo and or hotmail ID then please give that to me so we can have live conversation in this context.

Thank you once again!

Waqas
Re: More Than Urgent! How to recover database with your control file missing! [message #56629 is a reply to message #56602] Sat, 12 April 2003 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
psmyth
the control files are specified in the init.ora file.

When you run the 'create controlfile' script, a new controlfile is created. The datafiles and logfiles specified in the script are not created or overwritten as this script only lists where they are located so that they will be correctly specified in the control file.
Re: More Than Urgent! How to recover database with your control file missing! [message #56633 is a reply to message #56602] Sun, 13 April 2003 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
reshma
Hi,
Question #1 recover database without current controlfiles

If you have lost the current control files, or the current control file is inconsistent with the data files that you need to recover, how to recover the database?

With these steps can i recover the database.can u explain what is acutally in the these.

ALTER DATABASE RECOVER AUTOMATIC UNTIL CANCEL USING BACKUP CONTROLFILE;
ALTER DATABASE RECOVER CANCEL;
# ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS;
# ALTER TABLESPACE TEMP ADD TEMPFILE '/opt/oracle/oradata/el20/temp01.dbf' size 200M;

Tahnks
Reshma
Re: More Than Urgent! How to recover database with your control file missing! [message #56639 is a reply to message #56602] Mon, 14 April 2003 01:05 Go to previous message
psmyth
the script I supplied will allow you to create a new controlfile.

There are some lines in the script that are 'remmed' out because you don't need them - i just sent the script as quickly as I could because you said it was urgent.

If you want further detail on 'create controlfile' scripts please consult the Oracle documentation and/or Oracle Metalink.

Rgds
paul
Previous Topic: Problem on client disconnects randomly on terminal services
Next Topic: client configuration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 10:19:56 CDT 2024