Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » PRODUCTION DB - Some doubts -Pls help me out - Juli
PRODUCTION DB - Some doubts -Pls help me out - Juli [message #56998] Tue, 13 May 2003 05:02 Go to next message
Julie
My dear friends.

I am new to production database and I am told to work in production
DB environment remotely and give support to our client.

I am little tensed to work in this environment!!!

I am in INDIA and our client is in SWISS.

If you have worked in production support environment,Pls spend some time
for me .

I would be so much greatful to you if I get some answers and suggestions
based on your practical experience.

these are my doubts.

1) How can we set up an oracle database server remotely?

2) In windows platform ,How do you connect to the development server and access the Oracle DB.

via SQL Net8 or Telnet ?

which one is more feasible.

3)

a) In production database (24X7) with heavy transaction rate , how often should we take backups.?
Note : Presently I have planned to take Hot backups weekly once.But recovery time would be more
if some failure happens. pls suggest

b) Is it a good approch , if I go for RMAN, insted of connecting to remote prod.server and taking backup manually as I said above . pls suggest.

c) what all factors should we consider while designing our back up strategies.? few points pls

With warm regards
- Juli
Re: PRODUCTION DB - Some doubts -Pls help me out - Juli [message #56999 is a reply to message #56998] Tue, 13 May 2003 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
1. in case of unix machines,
start the xhost.
use ssh or putty or exceed or any emulator
install oracle.
2, for windows, u can use pcanywhere or terminal services to do remote installations.
the pain with windows is , you cannot do a reboot.
sqlnet or net8 etc can be used to administer the
remote database only
3. Oracle strongly recomends RMAN
Re: PRODUCTION DB - Some doubts -Pls help me out - Juli [message #57026 is a reply to message #56998] Thu, 15 May 2003 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uwe
In case of Mahesh's reply I can only give you some points for the backup strategies, but in last you've to decide how critical it is to stay offline after losing data.
1.)
a. depending on the time which you need to spend for recovery you can fix the count of backups you need. Dayly backups with One FullBack and 7 Incremental - but if you lose data on the 6th day you need to recover all down to the FullBack + Redologs after last Incremental
b. Fullbackup every day will cost time and Tapes but is more comftable to restore.
c. All RMAN backups should be online, so that the DB will work as normal as on other times. Maybe a little bit slower, but all functions available.
d. Pls hold some generations of FullBacks in Treasury. Do not reuse as quick as you can.

At first you need to find out how much every hour of downtime will cost. On that you can imagine how long you can use for Recovery, and how often you need to make Fullbacks. This will be the main focus for Backup-Strategies.

HTH
Uwe
Re: PRODUCTION DB - Some doubts -Pls help me out - Juli [message #57052 is a reply to message #56998] Sat, 17 May 2003 05:19 Go to previous message
Julie
Thanx a lot Mahesh and Uwe for the replies- Julie
Previous Topic: ORA-00059 db files exceeded
Next Topic: What version of Oracle is right for Win XP
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 11:44:25 CDT 2024