Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » sys system sysdba sysoper (more interesting)
sys system sysdba sysoper (more interesting) [message #57099] Tue, 20 May 2003 13:39 Go to next message
Chris
1. When do you login as "sys as sysoper" Vs "sys as sysdba"?

2. Since sys and system both have "DBA role", what is what?

3. By saying "DBA role", do you mean that the role is comprised of multiple administrative privileges, such as, as a minimun, to login the database.

4. Could you also create a user similar as system or sys -- I mean this new user, say oraroot, have the same power/privilege as sys or system?

PS. Thanks to Sanjay for previous answers.
Re: sys system sysdba sysoper (more interesting) [message #57102 is a reply to message #57099] Tue, 20 May 2003 15:35 Go to previous message
Andy Hofer
1. As a practical matter, I never log in as "sys as sysoper". "sysoper" is restricted to things like starting and stopping the database server. Connecting as "sys as sysdba" has all power, but should only be used during upgrades, migration, etc..

2. The "DBA" role has been granted a powerful collection of system privileges. Try this: "select * from dba_sys_privs where grantee='DBA';" Other than SYS and SYSTEM, the DBA role should only be granted to a database administrator. Usually, schemas that own objects are granted the "CONNECT" and "RESOURCE" roles.

3. Yes and no. The DBA role is very powerful, but does not include "CREATE SESSION". Normally, you "GRANT CONNNECT, DBA TO <your_dba>;".

4. Close. Any schema (user) can be granted the DBA role, but SYS is the owner of the data dictionary and there are some things that only SYS can do.

HTH,
Andy
Previous Topic: forms6i
Next Topic: User Name and Schema Name
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 11:38:23 CDT 2024