Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Help! Require intensive database testing procedure..
Help! Require intensive database testing procedure.. [message #57305] Wed, 04 June 2003 12:01 Go to next message
sheela
Hi,
I have created a new 8.1.7 database (large size, but empty) and in a week or two it will be up and ready for production. The database is on Sun enterprise server with solaris 8 on it. Last week when I was doing some administration on the database, all of a sudden there was some problem and the server stopped responding and it was automatically rebooted due to some failure. Unfortunately there was no log or trace of what went wrong either on the database side or on the server side. The folks from sun came and tested them, but they couldn't figure the problem either and cannot recreate it.
So all I wanted to do is I want to run some kind of intensive process (on this empty database) what will use most of the resources and keep the database in high memory and i/o usage mode for a day or two and see what happens. I need to do this before I take this sever into production. So right now, it just has large empty datbase created with the database assistant. Could someone help me with a procedure , so I could do this testing?
Thanks
Tony
Re: Help! Require intensive database testing procedure.. [message #57316 is a reply to message #57305] Thu, 05 June 2003 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
psmyth
to hammer the db, you're really going to have to create some tables and load some data - any 'test' data you can play with? you can drop it all before you go live. Once you've got a bunch of data in there, you can do repeated 'analyze... compute statistics's on it... and 'analyze table/index validate structures'.

If you want to hit the server cpu, download a solaris version of setiathome from http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/download.html - you can run as many threads of this as you want, and it'll use up all your spare cpu cycles... and may even find intelligent life out there.

Good luck
Re: Help! Require intensive database testing procedure.. [message #57321 is a reply to message #57316] Thu, 05 June 2003 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tony
Thanks much. I'll give it a shot.
What is difference between Order BY and Index [message #57352 is a reply to message #57321] Sat, 07 June 2003 09:47 Go to previous message
Hiren Patel
Hi

I am confused with index and order by cluase.what is the major difference between index and order by
Previous Topic: Personal Oracle 8i 1.7 Installation error WIN XP Pro
Next Topic: binding variables
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:31:07 CDT 2024