Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Urgent: Dispatcher ora-00106
Urgent: Dispatcher ora-00106 [message #58126] Mon, 04 August 2003 01:53 Go to next message
Christine
Hi everybody,

I need really urgent help with this:

I created a new database with ora 8.1.7.3 on Windows 2000 server. After all create scripts were ready I tried to shutdown the database to switch to archivelog mode. But svrmgrl told me: ora: 00106 start/stop of database not possible because of running dispatcher. What for dba's sake is this dispatcher and how do I stop it e.g. how can i stop my instance.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Regard Christine
Re: Urgent: Dispatcher ora-00106 [message #58140 is a reply to message #58126] Mon, 04 August 2003 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ctg
your database must be in multithreaded server mode.
in sqlplus
SQL> show parameter MTS_
-- are MTS_DISPATCHERS/MTS_SERVERS set?
if they are you need to take them out of your parameter file if you dont want to be in mts mode.

can you log into the windows box directly? if so,
1) open a DOS window
in that DOS window :
2) SET ORACLE_SID=<sid>
3) SQLPLUS /NOLOG
in the SQLPLUS window:
4) connect / as sysdba (or connect internal)
5) shutdown immediate
Re: Urgent: Dispatcher ora-00106 [message #58149 is a reply to message #58140] Tue, 05 August 2003 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christine
Thanks a lot!!! everything works well now and you really helped me. But I have a further question:

I'm quite new in oracle database administration and I learned to administer the database in svrmgrl (server manager) - but this didn't work! then I worked like you told me in the dos-window and everything goes well. By the way do I always have to say set oracle_sid? Can I forget about svrmgrl??? Is this also the way to work with oracle 9i??? (I read that there is no svrmgrl any more)

Anyway really THANK YOU again!
Kind regards
Christine
Re: Urgent: Dispatcher ora-00106 [message #58156 is a reply to message #58149] Tue, 05 August 2003 07:39 Go to previous message
ctg
forget about server manager. It is gone in 9i and everything you used it for can now be done in sqlplus. also if you use INTERNAL to connect to the db in 8i, that too is gone in 9i, so get used to SYS AS SYSDBA.

You only need to set the ORACLE_SID if you are not going through the Oracle Networking. But your problem was that when you went through the oracle network you connected with a dispatcher which stopped you from shutting down the db.
Previous Topic: Multiple Oracle server on Solaris8
Next Topic: Partitioned table syntax question....gurus please look
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 14:31:08 CDT 2024