Home » Other » General » Oracle SE2 Licensing (Oracle SE2)
Oracle SE2 Licensing [message #689317] Tue, 21 November 2023 07:42 Go to next message
Zaf
Hello all,
We planning to install a single instance Oracle SE2 on 4 VMs (Dev,Test,UAT and Prod), with the NUP split like so

PROD: 40NUP (4 Cpu’s on prod VM)
NON-PROD: 60NUP (2 Cpu’s on each VM for Dev,Test,UAT)

The prod VM will be hosted on a physical node with the following spec

36 CPUS on 2 sockets (18 cores per socket)

The node is in a cluster of 8 other prod servers with the same CPU counts as above, but DRS rules are in place to make sure the VM will stay on its designated host.  We are using VMware are our virtualisation technology.

Non-prod follows a similar setup again all VMs will be on a single host.

My question is if we go with the NUP licensing metric are there any other considerations with regards to the virtual environment i.e. core counts, number of nodes in a cluster, DRS rules enabled etc.  As it is my understanding that with the NUP metric we should not have to worry about this.

Any help and advice will be appreciated

Regards,
Zaf
Re: Oracle SE2 Licensing [message #689318 is a reply to message #689317] Tue, 21 November 2023 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Welcome to the forum.
Please read the OraFAQ Forum Guide and How to use [code] tags and make your code easier to read.

You need to be very careful with this. If you have 8 servers in the cluster, Uncle Oracle will insist that you license all 8 of them. You can't use VMware DRS rules to reduce this.
If you approach the Oracle Sales droids directly, they may not be very flexible. Probably your best option is to buy your licences through a partner that knows what they are doing (such as the one I work for    :)   ) who can advise and negotiate with Oracle on your behalf. You need to be certain that you will not be found to be out of compliance if (or when...) you are audited.
Re: Oracle SE2 Licensing [message #689319 is a reply to message #689318] Tue, 21 November 2023 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zaf
Thanks for the reply, John.
So do i still need to consider CPU count, cores, VMs etc if we go for NUP Licenses?
My understanding was that with NUP, we can install the database anywhere as long as we don't exceed the user count?
Re: Oracle SE2 Licensing [message #689320 is a reply to message #689319] Tue, 21 November 2023 09:00 Go to previous message
John Watson
I've given you my understanding of the situation. If you want to license only a subset of your cluster, well, you can take a chance. And hope.

I am not a licensing expert (if I were, I'ld be a salesman and rich) but it has appeared to me that pretty much everything in the licensing agreement is negotiable, but the process is not easy. Any variations (and you are asking for big variations) would have to be agreed and would likely be concealed by an NDA.

ATB, J.
Previous Topic: Any problems with MOS today
Next Topic: Is MOS down
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:03:56 CDT 2024